Experiences with USB-Modem

wvdialno process found was the first output thrown on double clicking my new USB Modem icon. I gave enough trial when my system was armed with Fedora-Core 13 but all went in vain. I then read few instructions which came along with USB-Modem kit and concluded to say ‘no’ to Fedora-Core 13 :(

I installed Ubuntu 9.04 and whoa the script ran successfully. It threw some console outputs : dial creator
–> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.60
–> Cannot get information for serial port.
–> Initializing modem.
–> Sending: ATX0
OK
Later it initialized the Modem on providing the password and was waiting for the carrier. CONNECT was the next echo on terminal wherein it fetched two DNS servers to resolve IPs.
CONNECT
–> Carrier detected.
–> Starting daemon at mm-dd-yyyy hh:mm:ss
nameserver x.y.z.a
nameserver x.y.z.b

While playing with 1X speed ; I learn t a new stuff – The OPERA Turbo (which is a server side optimization and compression technology) that speeds up data transfer and reduces the amount of data that needs to be downloaded in order to view the page by upto 80%. The compression can be achieved by image down-sampling hence the graphic distortion. More can be read on the portal – http://www.opera.com/portal/turbo/

Advertisements
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: